Laser hair removal has definitely made life much easier with its permanent solution to get rid of unwanted body hair. But is that all you need to know? Definitely not! Laser hair removal involves a lot of consequences if not done in a proper manner under the guidance & supervision of a medical expert.
Let’s start with the areas where hair growth is just not welcome, like upper lips, eyebrows, cheeks, ear tops, axillae, bikini lines etcetera. Many women even choose to go for full body hair removal. Well, choosing laser hair removal is not wrong but one needs to know the right place to get it done.
Reality entangled with laser hair removal which no one wants to accept:
- Small temporary PIH or redness can happen
- Recovery period varies for individual
- Fine hair or grey hair cannot be cleared
- 100% clearance is not possible in certain conditions
Many people sign up for parlour packages to get laser treatment done over skin clinics due to affordability without knowing the consequences.
Going under untrained hands leads to a number of complications like:
- Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH)
- Atrophic scar
- Various eye issues after eyebrow hair removal
- Burns & blisters
Why do these complications happen?
- Not doing proper test treatments prior to conducting laser hair removal sessions.
- Selection of the wrong laser without examining skin type.
- Unprofessional handling of the laser system with no/little understanding of lasers or interaction of lasers with skin.
- When not used properly, the safest laser beams can harm the skin layer, even causing serious injuries.
- Poor selection of the area to be treated and choosing the wrong parameters.
- Attempts to remove fine hairs or grey hairs with laser treatment which is not possible.
- Fluence or intensity used which is too high, too many passes, inadequate post-treatment cooling, poor overlap technique and inadequate pulse sequencing resulting in thermal damage to the upper layer of the skin.
- Taking frequent sessions without maintaining adequate time gap which is required for skin healing.
All these above complications happen due to lack of proper training which can be avoided easily with awareness. Dermatologists in the professional skin clinics are the one who has the proper training for laser handling and knows how to handle each laser with different skin type.