Hair dye allergy can happen to anyone at any age, most likely due to someone being allergic to one of the chemicals used in the hair dye. Commonly para-phenylenediamine (PPD) is the one to cause a serious allergic reaction. Commonly found in permanent and semi-permanent hair dyes, this chemical is mostly used to give darker colour. Although very few people are likely to show allergic reactions to this chemical.
Some facts on hair dye allergy:
- The most common symptom is contact dermatitis.
- Notice the first signs of allergy.
- Gentle moisturizers may help relieve the discomfort.
How do you know if you are allergic to a certain dye?
- Inflammation & redness after hair-dye application
- The area where dye is applied become irritant
- Itchiness in eyes or eyelids
- Rashes or itchy patches on the body
- difficulty swallowing, wheezing and sneezing.
Hair dye-initiated allergy or medically pronounced “contact dermatitis” has type 4 hypersensitivity that may take hours or more to prevail.
How can I save myself?
Yes, you can, if you take some preventive measures.
- follow packet instructions thoroughly & precisely.
- Do not leave hair dye longer than recommended.
- Wash scalp thoroughly after application.
Go for Doctor Guided Patch Test:
Patch tests are done by dermatologists to check for allergic reactions.
- A few patches will be put into your back or arms.
- The patches will be exposed to a number of allergens.
- The patches will be removed after 48 hrs.
- Any patch with skin irritation indicates allergy.
During the patch test, make sure the patches must not get wet at all. Taking patch test in the clinic under the guidance of dermatologist helps to find about all the possible allergen you are intolerant of or allergic to. Having the list of possible allergens can help you to choose a hair dye that does not have them in ingredients.